Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Forks Over Knives (2011) PG D

Warning! This movie will make you bored to tears!
              When I sat down to watch "Forks Over Knives", I thought that this was going to be a fun, educational experience, just like Morgan Spurlock's "Supersize Me". However, I lost my appetite for it.
               The problems with this film I could list for you, but I'm going to be nice to it. This time. So, I'm going to tell you what it's about first. The film's premise is that cancer and other deadly diseases are influenced by what we eat. Studies show that if we continue to eat meat and animal-based products, it would seriously affect our bodies. (What! No cheese or milk! Anything but that!) However, if we switch to a vegan diet, we could reverse all of our health problems , and live healthier lives. The proof comes from several stories of people who have tried this diet, and got healthier.
                 Sounds cool, huh? Well, the way the director made it isn't even fascinating. For starters, the movie feels and looks like the sophistication of a horrible PowerPoint slide, complete with no documentary footage involved. It's like a health class essay report, only without any wit or new facts. However, the real problem is that it's boring and unremarkable at the same time! I could remember falling asleep twice during this darned movie, because it drags on and on with "inspirational stories" and "shocking facts" that's not even inspirational or even shocking. (Thank you news programs and teachers because you taught us everything about food safety.)
   For you future filmmakers, please do not overstuff your films with too much information. Forks Over Knives is just lecturing about why we should stop eating meat, and start being vegans, and by the way, it never makes a convincing point. I heard from a critic named Christy Lemire that after she saw this, she ate a cheeseburger. :)
           At the beginning of the film, it leaves out a message urging viewers not to take a vegan plan without consulting doctor supervision.  In honor of that advice, I decided to upload my own message. "This film has left me unconvinced of my eating habits, and I urge the viewer to skip it for I'm giving it a D. Now, I'm going to eat a turkey with cheese sandwich with carrots. Yes, I do like veggies."

          P.S.  I talked to one of my friends after I saw this piece of junk. I told her about my review when she commented that some of her friends tried out the diet that this movie inspired, and they didn't gain anything extraordinary from it!  No healthier lives or happier lives! (Either this movie sucks or they did the diet wrong. I'm guessing that it's both or one of them.) Now, I know that you are supposed to eat healthy food, and I shouldn't get upset over a harmless "documentary" about veggies. However, you should actually see Supersize Me . (See the intro above.) You will enjoy it even more because it was fun and you actually learned how to take care of your body. If you don't want to see it, well enjoy the movie that has a lecturing on a fad diet that I personally believe has nothing to do with the miracles of veganism.
      3/10 

4 comments:

  1. I think I'll skip this one thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see you are now having turkey with your cheese sandwiches. :)
    D+ ...I think I will skip this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of most of the movies you list. Then again, I'm not much of a movie buff. But, I like your style and will be checking you out. I notice you will being doing Water for Elephants. Read it but did not see it. Anxious to hear what you have to say! cbb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just did it in January. I liked it, but I don't think it's like the book.

      Delete